Learn how to become an Education Administrator or School Principal in Texas.
The Texas Education Agency issues administrative certificates to qualified applicants interested in becoming School principals or Superintendents.
Classroom Teaching Experience Requirements
- You must possess a valid classroom teaching certificate
- You must possess 2 years of classroom teaching experience
- You must possess (at minimum) a valid school principal’s certificate
Document and Application Requirements
Utilize the Educator Certification Online System to apply for education administrator licensure in Texas. Make sure to send the following info to the Texas Education Agency Office of Educator Certification:
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended, showing your receipt of a master’s degree (at minimum) and successful completion of the appropriate education administrator preparation program
- Institutional recommendation from your education administrator preparation program
- Exam score reports
- Application fees
Mail the above info to the Texas Education Agency, Office of Educator Certification, William B. Travis Building, 1701 N. Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas, 78701.
Background Check Requirements
Before you acquire your education administrator license, you must undergo a criminal history background check. The Department of Public Safety offers electronic capture and fingerprints through live scan technology via their Fingerprint Applicant Service of Texas (FAST). For additional info, contact the Texas Department of Public Safety Crime Records Service at 512- 424-2478.
For additional info on education administrator preparation programs in Texas, make contact with the institutions offering them.
For further info on education administrator licensure in Texas, contact the Office of Educator Certification at 512-936-8400.