Learn how to become an Education Administrator or School Principal in New Jersey.
If you want to become a school administrator in New Jersey, you must apply for a School principal Certificate of Eligibility. This certificate allows you to accept the following positions: school principal, assistant school principal, vice-school principal, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, and director.
You must meet 1 of the following degree obligations:
- Hold a master’s degree in educational leadership, curriculum and instruction, or leadership/management
- Hold a master’s degree and successful completion of a post-master’s program that leads to a certificate of advanced study in educational administration and supervision
- Hold a master’s degree and successful completion of a post-master’s program of 30 semester hour credits in educational administration/supervision
- Hold a master’s degree from an authorized National Council for Accreditation of Educator Education (NCATE) or Educator Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) educational leadership program at an out-of-state institution
- You must have 30 graduate credits
You must pass the Praxis School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA)
Classroom Teaching Experience Requirements
You must possess 5 years of experience working under a provisional or standard New Jersey teaching certificate or equivalent out-of-state teaching certificate. You must also successfully complete a 300-hour practicum in Educational Leadership.
Document and Application Requirements
Once you have met the above obligations, you can apply for the certificate online. Application fees can be paid online. Forward the following materials to the New Jersey DOE:
- Official transcripts
- Praxis SLLA test scores
- A letter verifying 5 years of employment
- Copies of any out-of-state teaching certificates
Mail your application materials: State of New Jersey Department of Education, Office of Licensure & Credentials, P.O. Box 500, Trenton, NJ 08625-0500
Background Check Requirements
Before you acquire your education administrator license, you must undergo a criminal history background check.
For additional info on licensure for education administrators, contact the Office of Licensure & Credentials at 609-292-2070.