As a result of COVID-19, homeschooling is on the rise. For some, this is a short-term arrangement, and others have discovered that homeschooling is perfect for their family. In case you don’t know, homeschooling is simply the practice of educating your kids from home. Some families choose to collaborate through homeschooling cooperatives and extracurricular leagues to enrich the home school experience.
Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, including the District of Columbia. When exploring the homeschooling route, please be aware that the laws and policies that govern homeschooling differ by state. If you wonder if homeschooling is a good fit for your family, you probably have questions about how to begin the process and what resources are available. Because of this, we created a series entitled, How to Start Homeschooling. In each installment, we will discuss homeschooling rules and resources for each state. In today’s installment, we will discuss homeschooling in South Dakota.
What you need to know:
- South Dakota Homeschool Law requires you to submit an initial Notification for Public School Exemption Certificate to your school district and submit an annual one each year.
- If you need to remove your kid, you will need to submit your school district an Initial Notification for Public School Exemption Certificate and your kid’s school for any particular forms.
- There are no particular requirements for homeschool teachers.
- Homeschool learners must receive at least 437 hours per school term for kindergarten, 875 hours school term for grades 1-5, and 962 hours per school term for grades 6-12.
- There are two required academic subjects: language arts and math.
- The state of South Dakota requires you to keep a copy of your kid’s birth certificate on record.
- Homeschool learners must take a national standardized achievement test in grades 4, 8, and 11.
- If you re-enroll your kid in a public school, South Dakota uses a credit-by-exam program for placement.
For more, check out the Home School Legal Defense Association – South Dakota and the South Dakota Christian Home Educators.